25 (Not So Secret) Things to Know of Happy People
“If being happy is important to you, try this: instead of regretting all you lack, celebrate all you’ve got.” ~Brian Vaszily
"Happiness is a journey, not a destination.” ~Ben Sweetland
“The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.” ~Sam Cawthorn
Hi Diamond! What comes to mind when you hear the word "Happiness"? What have you been conditioned to believe about what makes one happy? You may or may not be aware that money, material items, and most extrinsic things, like cars, houses, a new job, education, vacations, relocation, or warm weather to name a few, do not have a lot to do with happiness. Does this shock you? Of course these things can make you happy temporarily and for such a time, but then you are back at your happiness set point.
The set point of happiness is a psychological term that describes your general level of happiness. Each of us has a different set point – some have a high set point, meaning you are mostly happy; some have a low set point, meaning you are mostly unhappy; while others fall somewhere in between. Your set point for happiness is based on your genetics and conditioning, according to Sonja Lyubomirsky. No matter what life throws at you, over time your happiness bounces back to the same set point. Long-term happiness is rooted in internal circumstances, not external ones. Happiness is a choice and it’s an inside job. This is empowering, because it puts your happiness in your control.
By using your set point of happiness as a guide, you can take steps right away to focus on happiness right now.
Here are “25 (Not So Secret) Things to Know of Happy People” in the present, to bring you more internal happiness.
1. Prayer and Meditation: Prayer is when you talk to God. Meditation is when you listen to God. What could bring more happiness than this!
2. Cultivate Healthy Relationships – Family and Friends: Relationships are necessary for optimal health and well-being. We are social creatures. Family and friends can help you celebrate good times and provide support during bad times. They prevent isolation and loneliness and also Increase your sense of belonging and purpose.
3. Helping Others; Giving Back; Acts of Kindness: Gives you a sense of purpose, creates a stronger community and connects you to others, makes you feel good, happier and healthier too.
4. Practice Gratitude and Appreciation: Stop and appreciate the things around you. Be thankful for the small things, be kind and generous. Practice “thank you”
5. Adequate Rest and Sleep: Getting enough rest and sleep is a perfect benefit for you and your happiness. Especially a full night of sleep (7.5 to 8 hours) can boost your thinking capacities; boost your immune system and your overall functioning.
6. Good Health: Practice self-care regularly; the benefits are broad and have even been linked to positive health outcomes such as reduced stress, improved immune system, increased productivity, and higher self-esteem.
7. Forgive Yourself and Others: Forgiveness has been shown to elevate mood, enhance optimism, and guard against anger, stress, anxiety, and depression. Forgiveness allows you to move on in life with meaning and purpose. You will be its primary beneficiary.
8. Laughter: Laughter is contagious, try it right now, laugh out loud. Laughter makes you feel good and this positive feeling remains with you even after the laughter subsides.
9. Ample Time Alone: It relieves stress and gives you time to reflect and refresh. Alone time increases empathy; increases productivity; sparks creativity, it also plays a pivotal role in your mental health.
10. Doing What You Love: The main reason to do what you love is your happiness.
11. Declutter; Organize Your Space and Environment: Alleviates anxiety and depression; cultivates a happy environment; energizes and helps you sleep well; boost your mood and self-esteem.
12. Time in Nature: Get outside and enjoy the great outdoors. Time in nature will improve your mood, reduce stress, and improve your cognitive function. Other benefits of being in nature: your vitamin D levels rise, improve your quality of sleep and your overall health and well-being.
13. Positive Thinking; Healthy Thoughts; Optimism: Your mind is indispensable and your thoughts start from within. The mind is everything. Your body hears everything your mind says and your life is shaped through your thoughts. It is essential to invest in your overall well-being (the mind is no exception) by becoming more aware of your thoughts. Be intentional about making them productive, positive, and truthful for your sanity and success. Thought is the vital force behind all change!
14. Do NOT Compare Yourself to Others: 4 Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, 5 for each one should carry their own load. Galatians 6:4-5 (NIV) New International Version
15. Celebrate Others and Your Achievements: Celebrate and savor your achievements because your efforts deserve your gratitude.
16. Disconnecting – from the Noise, Distractions, and Technology: The major sources of distractions come from email, social media, television, radio, and cell phones. While we may not be able to eliminate all of our distractions, we can choose to minimize them. You’re in control of your choices. I invite you to: Slow down and calm your mind. Challenge yourself to activate your willpower and disconnect and unplug from technology and minimize your distractions!
17. Remove Toxic People and Things from Your Life: Make a conscious decision to walk away and /or separate yourself from individuals and things that are toxic to your well-being. Set strong boundaries with toxic and negative people and enforce those boundaries. Give yourself the grace to be human, worthy of love and respect, and no longer sacrifice your own happiness by allowing toxic people and their negative outlook to influence you.
18. Embrace Change: Change are Powerful Forces.Change is a natural and a necessary part of life. Change will happen with or without you and it can often be uncomfortable, but it’s necessary if you want to grow. Change is also inevitable. Be deliberate about your growth and your path as you embrace change, whatever that is for you.
19. Meaningful Career; Purpose: Walking in your God endowed purpose and calling on your life. The natural impact your life and presence have on others. Using your innate gifts to make a positive impact to the world and to those that cross your path.
20. Learn and Try New Things: Be open to discover new insights about different aspects of your life. Take charge of your FUTURE – LEARN something NEW. Interrupt the cycle, WORK ON YOU, IMPROVE YOU! The more you step out of your comfort zone into the new and unfamiliar, you’re building your confidence. Never stop learning. Move FORWARD from stagnation, to daily growth and achievement! Pick a new food, event, or activity to try every week.
21. Listen to Music
22. Experiences – Create Lasting Memories; Travel
23. Get in Your Flow with a Hobby that You Love
24. To Love and to be Loved
25. Love ALL of YOU – The Total You - Your Wholeness
"Happiness" is a choice, be intentional about cultivating it. Whatever you want to achieve I can help by co-partnering with you to get there and support you every step of the way. It would be my pleasure.
For more coaching, schedule your free 30 minutes expectation call and add life coaching as a part of your support system. Let’s Connect.